Monday, March 22, 2010

What is 39.5 inches tall and 38 pounds??

Why our perfect little boy that's who! Ethan had is 3 year check up and I think the Dr. said it quick good when she said, "Ethan you are a perfect little boy". His talking and motor skills are ahead of where they should be and he is in the 90th percentile for both height and weight. He had his eyes checked and was able to point out most of the shapes and symbols on the chart. I was proud. :) He did get a shot, which was not his favorite. He was so brave and just looked at the nurse and said "that hurt!". I think he forgave her when she gave him a bouncy ball. It was like she knew him. Ha ha.

Did you know that they start screening for obesity at the age of 3 now! I was shocked when they calculated his BMI. Obviously E is nowhere near needing to be concerned, but they said that due to the rise in obesity in children they are starting to track it as early as three now. I just found that so sad that there are kids who are already considered obese at the third year check up. It makes me wonder how many kids out there get a balanced diet everyday and who are encouraged to be active. People are always shocked when they find out that E didn't have a milkshake until February of this year. LOL, I mean we have ice cream and such, but it's more a treat not a food group. And he had his first root beer this weekend...is that bad? I guess I don't think many 3 year olds need to be drinking soda. Did you know that this next generation they are actually predicting that they will not live as long as their parents. So sad. :)

Anyway, his appointment just got me thinking about the health of our kids and what I can do to make sure E lives a long healthy life.

2 comments:

andrea said...

Glad he checked out well!! He is a big boy! Bryson was 36 lbs 41 1/2" at his 4 year check up. Although so far this week he has lost 2 pounds :( I know he will gain it back though and hopefully a few extra. That is so sad about checking for obesity in children so young. So sad.

Kelly said...

Way to GROW Ethan! He is such a good little boy!